Suspect was tackled by passers-by before being shot

Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) Cressida Dick confirmed on Friday that two people who were injured in a London Bridge terror incident have died and three others were treated in hospital.

Police have shot dead a man in what the city’s Metropolitan Police service has declared a terrorist incident.

It occurred early in the afternoon, local time, when the area around the bridge was busy with tourists and office workers.

“I can confirm at approximately 14:00 GMT today police were called to a stabbing at a premises near to London Bridge,” Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner Neil Basu told reporters at a news conference.

“A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from City of London Police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene.”

Eyewitnesses described hearing shots and videos on social media appear to show members of the public surrounding a man on the floor, before being ushered away. It then appeared the man was shot by an armed police officer.

“Due to reports that the suspect may have had an explosive device, specialist officers also attended the scene and wide cordons are in place to ensure there remains no further danger to the public,” Basu continued. “However, I can confirm at this time, we believe a device that was strapped to the body of the suspect is a hoax explosive device.”

London Ambulance Service declared a “major incident” and had a number of crews at the scene. London Bridge train station was also evacuated and remained closed hours after the incident and tube trains did not stop at London Bridge underground station.

Prime minister Boris Johnson issued a statement saying “I want to thank the emergency services and members of the public for their immense bravery in responding to this suspected terrorist attack at London Bridge. This is an appalling incident and all my thoughts are with the victims and their families.”

Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn tweeted “My thoughts are with those caught up in the incident. Thank you to the police and emergency services who are responding.”

Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, said in a statement: “It has been confirmed that people were injured in the attack. My heart goes out to them, their families and all affected.

“We must – and we will – stay resolute in our determination to stand strong and united in the face of terror,” he continued. “Those who seek to attack us and divide us will never succeed.”

BBC reporter John McManus, who witnessed some of the incident, said he saw what looked like a fight and heard several gunshots as he walked across London Bridge.

“There appeared to be a fight going on the other side of the bridge, with several men attacking one man,” he told BBC News. “Police then quickly arrived, including armed police, and then a number of shots were fired at this man.”

On Nov 4 the UK’s terrorism threat level was downgraded from severe to substantial, meaning that attacks were thought to be likely rather than highly likely.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *